Financial Institution Spoofing Scams are on the Rise
Credit Union members must stay alert to the latest attempts by scammers to access personal financial data. Fraudsters have the ability to spoof credit union phone numbers and email addresses and use pieces of personally identifiable information to gain members’ trust before stealing account funds. TN Members 1st will never contact you directly to request any of your account information, including:
- Social Security Number
- Credit or Debit Card Numbers
- Security Code or CVV
- PIN – Personal Identification Number
- Date of Birth
- Online Banking Login Information
- Verification Codes
If someone contacts you and requests this information or your account details by phone do not share any information and hang up immediately. Likewise, if you receive an email, website pop-up, or text with a suspicious link – stop and think before you click. You can always contact the credit union back at 865-482-4343 to both report the potentially suspicious activity and verify if there was a valid request for information.
Identity Theft Protection
If you have immediate concerns about security, please contact us.
TN Members 1st Federal Credit Union is excited to be the first credit union in the area to provide Fully Managed Recovery identity theft services to all of our members and their family at no cost. We have partnered with one of the nation’s most trusted names in Identity Theft Protection to provide you with a comprehensive Identity Theft Research, Remediation and Recovery Service. Members automatically receive basic coverage of Fully Managed Recovery Services; however, opportunities for additional coverage are available.
As a member of TN Members 1st, your fully Managed Identity Theft Recovery Services cover all types of identity fraud, even if it is not related to your accounts with us! This could include credit or debit card fraud; tax, employment, benefits, or medical fraud; government documents; and any other identity fraud recognized by the Federal Trade Commission. If you suspect identity theft for any reason, know there is a professional standing by to analyze your unique situation, develop a plan of action, and work with you one-on-one to restore your identity to pre-theft status.
Fully Managed Identity Theft Recovery
- Perform research to determine the extent of the problem, including a review of all three credit reports (if needed)
- Assist with the placement of fraud alerts with the three major credit bureaus
- Write letters and make calls on your behalf to dispute fraudulent information
- Coordinate with government agencies, financial institutions, creditors, etc. to resolve incidents
- Create and then maintain a case file to assist law enforcement in the prosecution of the perpetrators
- Follow up with you after recovery
Coverage for all types of identity fraud
- Covers all types of identity fraud, even if it is not related to your accounts with us!
- Credit/debit card fraud
- Tax fraud
- Employment fraud
- Government documents
- Benefits fraud
- Medical fraud, and
- Any other identity fraud recognized by the Federal Trade Commission
- Fully Managed Identity Theft Recovery automatically extends to cover three generations of your family (3G) including:
- Spouse or domestic partner
- Dependents under age 25 with the same permanent address
- IRS-qualified dependents
- Parents living with you or in elder care (nursing home, assisted living, or hospice with same permanent or mailing address)
- All 3G family members are covered for 12 months after death, as well – an important benefit as identity thieves target deceased individuals
Additional Identity Theft Prevention Resources:
International Card Transactions
Due to the increased incidence of international card fraud, we have blocked the approval of all international card transactions. If you will be using your DEBIT or CREDIT CARD internationally, please contact the card services department at the credit union BEFORE YOU LEAVE.
FREE Annual Credit Report
Each major credit bureau is required to provide one free credit report annually to a consumer requesting a copy. Go to annualcreditreport.com to request your copy or call the credit bureaus directly. Their numbers are:
- 1.888.397.3742 – Experian
- 1.800.685.1111 – Equifax
- 1.800.888.4213 – Trans Union